Friday, August 3, 2012

Funny How A Melody...

I've been diggin' that "Springsteen" song by Eric Church lately. I listen to it, sing it, think about it... Not in that weirdo obsessed way. More like a "this song means something to me" kind of way. My favorite line is the one where he sings that a melody sounds like a memory. I find this to be so true. Songs have a funny way of bringing back all the memories, putting you right back in that very moment. It's so real, you can feel it. It's more than just remembering where you were or what you were doing. The emotions come flooding back and sometimes you are overwhelmed with feelings.

Certain songs bring tears to my eyes every time... "I'll Be" by Reba McIntire. "In The Garden" by Brad Paisley. There's even the occasion where songs that used to mean something (but don't anymore) creep up on you. I swear I can listen to "To Make You Feel My Love" (wedding song) a million times, and the very next time, I cry. It's weird because that memory is no longer important to me. But for some reason, it makes me remember how bad I failed.

A lot of these songs just make me feel good and I cry happy tears remembering my grandfather or thinking about how much I value the friendship I have with my mom. Others bring back heartache and sadness.

I guess this is why that "Springsteen" song really hits home with me. I really love the message it sends about how music make us feel. It's not just something you listen to when trying to fill the void of silence. It's a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment