Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Day With The Girls

 If you don't know what it's like to be in one big happy family, I'm truly sorry. Because what we have is like nothing I have ever seen with any other family. True, I've seen some other close families. But I have never seen a family like mine. 
Today, we spent time with my grandmother. 

Every year, my grandmother's homemakers group gets together for lunch somewhere and then who-knows-what. Today was lunch at The Oasis in Franklin, KY and then a little afternoon browsing at the little antique mall just down the street. My sister was well enough to get out of the house for a little bit and we were so happy she felt up to joining us. The photo above was taken at the antique mall as we were trying on the fabulous hats. (I LOVE these old hats and I really think I should have bought the hat I was wearing!) 

But there's something so special about a close family. We don't do this just "because Mammaw asks us to". No... we all really enjoy each others' company. I wish everyone else could have come down and joined us, too. But the time we spent together was wonderful, and it was priceless. You just can't discount these types of memories. I love my family... the good times and the bad times. We are lucky to have each other.

I think my favorite part of the day, however, wasn't the hats, the browsing, or the lunch. It was listening to my grandmother's stories of growing up, her wedding day, and Granny's cookies. Sharing those stories with her made my heart feel super happy. And I cannot wait to do it again. There's nothing like Mammaw's stories... well, except Mammaw's cooking... and Mammaw's pictures... and, well... Mammaw...

No comments:

Post a Comment