Monday, April 11, 2011

Lean On Me


I've been through this before... I've been to countless visitations and too many funerals to keep up with. I have a large family, on both my mom's side and my dad's. My heart is breaking tonight for my dad and his family.

My uncle, George Steele, passed away tonight from a heart attack. I don't know if it was sudden or if this was something his immediate family knew and was worried about. But to us, it came as a surprise. And even though my family has seen its fair share of sadness, this one isn't any easier to deal with.

My dad's family is close, but not as close as my immediate family. There were 12 kids, 6 boys and 6 girls. My dad was the youngest boy. My grandparents both passed away when I was younger. I have some of the fondest memories with my grandmother. But it saddens me to say that my only memory of my grandfather was when my dad did CPR on him the night he died. Only one other sibling has passed away. My Aunt Carolyn died in 2004. I believe that was also due to a heart attack. I can only hope that our family bonds together and learns to accept and understand what has happened.

I am not a very religious person. But I do pray when times are hard to deal with. And right now, I'm praying for my family... and mostly my dad. He's a tough guy and doesn't always show when he's hurting. Angry... yes. Sad... not so much. So if you're reading this blog... even if you don't know me... just thank God for the family you have. If you're fighting, stop. If you're loving... love harder. This is all you've got. They are all you've got. And you never know when something will take them away.

I love you, Daddy. You're my rock and we're here for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment