Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 18: I Am Thankful For...

November 18: I am thankful for my grandmother.


I have one living grandparent left. This time last year, I was thankful for every breath my grandfather took because I knew that meant he was still with me. He was still with us. After Thanksgiving last year, my grandfather passed away.  It was a Sunday afternoon and my family had spent the whole day there with him. We tried to spend a little time every day with him. I guess losing him last year made me realize just how much family means to me. I mean... I already knew my family was amazing and I knew we were unlike most families these days. But it had been so long since we had had a loss so great. Losing the patriarch of my mother's family was hard. It's still hard. But I'm thankful for those days with him. 

I look at my grandmother and wonder how she gets through the days without my grandfather. She's so strong and she's so beautiful inside and out. I know there are days, moments when she is lonely and I know my grandfather has to be on her mind every day. 

I think I got a lot of my strength from her. Well... from my mother first... but ultimately from her. She's very wise and she's witty. I love her more than she knows and I have so much respect for her. And tomorrow is her birthday. So I'm wishing her another wonderful birthday with all my heart. Today, I'm just so thankful to have her in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment