Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 1: I Am Thankful For...

It's the beginning of the month that makes us really think about the things we are most thankful for in our lives. I did it last year, and this year is no different. I know that most of my "thankful for" things/people will be the exact same as last year, but I am thankful anyway. So with that being said.......

November 1, 2012: I am thankful for music.


Growing up, I would sing a lot. I talked a lot more, but I would sing. Mom would watch Solid Gold on Saturday nights and we would watch The Monkees on television, singing all their songs. At family hayrides, I would sing "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" by George Jones and "Tomorrow" from Annie. I loved it. By the time I was in the sixth grade, I was learning my first instrument, the saxophone (NOT TRUE. I first learned how to play the recorder). Taking lessons and learning from my band director helped me to develop my passion.

I didn't understand it then like I do now. Music is more than just songs. Music is my soul. Every song tells a story. Every song has an understanding.

I take each song as a piece of me, learning more about myself through the lyrics... feeling myself grow through the melodies. My experiences in life could be cataloged through a country album. The voices are so much stronger than what you hear. Music opens my heart to happiness. I feel the pain in a chord, and the pulsing in my veins with every thump of the bass. Music is life. The gateway to our souls. And I am thankful for the music that my life writes every day.

And just in case you're wondering what my favorite song of all time is, I thought I'd leave you with the video...




No comments:

Post a Comment