Monday, November 14, 2011

I am thankful... day 14

November 14: I am thankful for my budget, without it I would be extremely poor.

Several years back, I was in a very bad state financially. I had just gone through a divorce and you know where that leads you... broke. I worked, I played, I spent. I didn't really have much to say for myself back then except I was having a good time and living without responsibilities. But I dug myself into some pretty major holes that I'm still trying to climb out of.

A really good friend of mine gave me a copy of an excel budget she had made for herself to work on her own personal finances. It's taken a long time, but I'm feeling better about my finances. I live and breathe that budget. Every January, I work on my budget for the entire year. I'm not even kidding. I know exactly how much money I get paid every month... how much I'm spending on bills... and how much I have to waste. It's nice to know what I can throw away every month without consequences. And the freedom of knowing that bills are getting paid is very nice.

Yeah, I know there was a time when responsibility didn't matter to me very much. But it does now and I take great pride in knowing that I'm ahead of the game. So for that reason alone, I am so thankful I have my budget.  (Thanks Beth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment