Sunday, November 27, 2011

In The Garden

All I can hear is sweet hymns and the sound of his last breath over and over. I was sitting just across from my sister and she was holding his hand. We looked at each other and we just knew.

It is never easy saying goodbye, even knowing that it's coming. Last night, I had a hard time sleeping. I was so nervous and my mind was scattered. I tried to complete homework assignments and it just wasn't happening. I think I somehow knew today would be the day and I was just scared of going to sleep.

We spent the majority of the day down at my grandparents' house just sitting with my Poppa, holding his hand, and telling him that everything was okay... it's okay to let go. My sister and I helped my Aunt Pat bathe him and change his shirt. Then my sister washed his hair gently with a washcloth. It was then that we decided he needed a little more. So my sister trimmed his hair around his ears and also his eyebrows. I shaved him. My aunt joked that he was just waiting on us to get him looking good so he didn't look so scruffy when he met the Pearly Gates. I'm so glad that we took the time to do that. It meant that she and I got to spend some quality time with our grandfather before it was too late.

My heart has broken and now it's time to work towards mending it. I know it will take some time before we can all find our strength again. But I know that we can do it. We are a great family with wonderful support and love for each other. We will bond through this and because of this. I love my family and I'm so proud to have them beside me. And during the healing process, I know I will hear a lot of great hymns that bring me back to home...

1 comment:

  1. Time with the ones we love, no matter how short or if it was abundant, is the most precious part of life. I know that we all wind up in the same place, and that those we love are never really gone away from us. Just look for him, T...you'll see the signs, you've got the right kind of eyes, my friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete